Bloore, Ronald

Ronald Bloore, Untitled, 4 3/4" x 10 1/2", 1981, Oil on masonite

Ronald Bloore, Untitled, 1981, Oil on masonite, 4 3/4 x 10 1/2 inches

Ronald Bloore, born in Brampton Ontario,  is perhaps best known as a founding member of the Regina Five.  Appointed Director of the Norman Mackenzie Art Gallery in 1958, Bloore created many exhibitions with a focus on contemporary Canadian painters. In 1962, Bloore received a Canada Council Senior Arts Fellowship Grant, allowing him to live and work abroad for a year.  During his travels to Greece, Turkey, and Egypt, Bloore became inspired by the symbolism and archaeological quality of the remaining architecture of these early civilizations.

His broad interest in cultural history and antiquity was a persistent and sustaining influence throughout his work. Upon his return to Canada the following year, Bloore destroyed all his previous work and renounced the use of colour, hoping to achieve the same transcendental quality he felt while looking at ancient architecture.

Bloore studied Art and Archaeology from the University of Toronto (1949), and at the Institute of Fine Arts, New York University (1949-1951); at Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri (1953); and at the Courtauld Institute of Art in London (1955-1957). He received honorary doctorates from York University and the University of Regina. Bloore taught art at many Canadian universities, and had many public commissions including a mural for Dorval International Airport (1968).  He is a member of the Order of Canada (1993).